15 February 2009

Snuggling Is Free

The week of Valentine's seemed to go extra slow. I was so thrilled when Whatshisface asked me at the beginning of the month what I wanted to do for the special day. I was like "oh my gosh, I get a Valentine's Day!!!!!" I've never done an official romantic Valentine's celebration before. Last year I had been getting over being very sick and Whatshisface brought me Taco Shop for dinner and a bag of Dove Chocolate. And then he bought me a cooking skillet the next week and told me Happy Valentine's. I thought it was the sweetest thing anyone had ever done :-D This year I was ready for something special in the more traditional sense. And without the flu being involved. I know a lot of people aren't into doing anything special for that day. Either they think it's a "hallmark holiday" or "everyday should be a day you show someone you love them". And yeah. It's true. Whatever. There's nothing wrong with an excuse to have a nice night and maybe break yourself out of little romantic rut. I didn't really care if we made Valentine's a big deal just for the sake of Valentine's Day itself. I could care less about appearances and what we should do to be a "happy couple". I wanted to do something because I was feeling like we'd been so busy and distracted that it would be awesome to do something special and reconnect. The whole two weeks leading up to the "big day" Jason and I were constantly asking each other what we were going to do. And honestly it got stressful. In hindsight, I think we both wanted the other person to plan the event and we got stressed out when we met at this event planning stand-off. Sigh. I was out shopping the weekend before with my sister and I found this black and red dress that I thought would be perfect for Valentine's. So my only idea was to do a dress-up date and then maybe take those photos he promised we'd take at Christmas (finally hard evidence that we are dating!). But the closer the date got the more the pressure and the stress of planning something seemed to break our spirits. And neither one of us wanted to wait 2 hours for a table at some resteraunt. In the end, we stayed home all weekend. We did have a special home cooked meal which I decided to Martha Stewart a little. I got some red placemats and candles at walmart for under $10. We had a romantic candlelit dinner on the coffee table with chicken tostadas and a cheap bottle of wine while watching Battlestar Galactica. It was nice. It was us. I think next year we'll try to skip the stress and anxiety and just relax.

No comments: