30 March 2005

Understudy for a domestic engineer

It has a nice ring to it. When people ask me what I've been doing since I graduated college I'm gonna tell them, "I'm the new understudy for a local domestic engineer." And then I will walk away before I have to explain to them that really means I don't have a job and I'm living in my parent's basement.

I spent the afternoon at the grocery store. Mom signed a blank check and sent me on my way. The sad thing about this is I was excited. I enjoy grocery shopping. I don't know why, I can't explain it, but I just do. So off I went. I almost got hit on twice! Who knew there were so many men prowling the supermarket aisles in the middle of the day. $168.49 and 1 1/2 hours later I'm at home unpacking 32 bags of groceries. My little brother is there "supervising" the new snack food unpacking.

"Jenn, this is the yellow yogurt. I don't eat yellow yogurt."

"Ethan, it's banana flavor. You love bananas."

"I don't eat bamana yogurt."

"This week you eat banana yogurt!"

"No! MOM, Jennifer got yellow yogurt!"

"Oh, Jennifer you got the wrong yogurt?"

Sigh, I guess that's why I'm just the understudy.

No comments: