13 May 2005

Spinning out Control

So my life is spinning out of control. Last night I realized that I hadn’t put deodorant on that morning. I’ve never in my life forgotten to put on deodorant. The funny thing was I didn’t even smell bad. Which makes me wonder if we really need to put deodorant on everyday and if not why have I spent my entire life doing so? See what I mean by out of control? The norm has been compromised; my boat has been rocked. Someone please make it stop.

I suppose it would be unfair to blame my current psychological tail spin solely on the personal hygiene industry. Another contributing factor would be this vacation to hell known as job hunting. Whose brilliant idea was it to send vulnerable college graduates out into the real world? Real people are scary. Real jobs--scarier. Thus far I have sent out close to a dozen resumes. I felt pretty good about that. It seemed like I was fulfilling my post-graduate obligations. But then things got crazy. Companies started calling me. As moronic as this sounds, I really wasn’t expecting that. What are you suppose to do when you are offered a job while you are still in the process of applying for several other jobs, but you don’t know if those other jobs will come through or not, yet you need to make a decision on this first job before you will have an opportunity to find out if the other jobs even looked at your resume? Spinning out of control, I tell you, spinning out of control.

Apparently there is a ferocious, wild herd of panic roaming around in my bathroom. I know this because they attacked me while I showered this morning. In the middle of defending myself against that viscous attack I had an epiphany. I really should just leave all this worrying behind. If I move into the wilderness away from technology, there will be no way for these crazy companies to keep calling me. There won’t be any computers for me to pretend to be knowledgeable about either. I can enjoy the beauty of creation and solitude and never wear deodorant again.

No comments: