Grandma always had a horde of dirty farmers and grandkids tracking dirt through her kitchen. Didn't matter what season it was someone was always messing up her floors. And instead of getting upset like most people would, she dealt with like she did most things. She found a simple, elegant, perhaps even ingenious solution. The solution: She had a dirt pile. That's right a pile o' dirt. Once or twice a day she would sweep the whole kitchen moving the accumulated dirt towards a special corner. And when she was done she would lean the broom up against that corner effectively hiding said dirt pile. Brilliant. Quick and easy, no tedious dustpan or bending over with bad knees and hips.
I don't know what my excuse is. It's just me living in my apartment and my kitchen floor approximately 3 feet by 8 feet. But I swear it's as filthy as Grandma's ever got with her two dozen kids and grandkids. I finally got a broom and was ready to get it all clean so I swept everything up into a corner and left it there. Mission accomplished. A few days later Jason is over and he looks at the pile and says, 'you didn't finish sweeping'. Oh Jason, you silly man. Grandma had this one right.
25 October 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This was sweet. It's a memory we all have. She had so much wisdom. Wish she were still here to share it with us.
Post a Comment